30.12.16

No Resolutions--Just Asking for a Dance

by Sally Matheny

Like most people, I’m planning to lose weight this year. Again. You can forget it being a resolution. It’s more like asking for a dance.

This extra fifteen-ish pounds and I have been swing dancing back and forth for years.  For the past two months, food has led the dance. When my desire to be healthier overrides my desire for chocolate, then I’ll take the lead again. 

Usually, I tire of toting the holiday heaviness around mid-January. 

However, a big snow can stretch that out.


At first, it seems easier to let food lead. It’s fun to float along, twirled by a sweet treat here and there. I easily tango through a Thanksgiving feast. But by the time I do the chewing cha-cha on multiple Christmas goody baskets, the dance is no longer graceful. The weight that seemed barely noticeable before, is now heavily stepping on my toes.

And so, I begin the arduous task of taking the lead again. It’s a slow, awkward process but eventually, I’ll be in control and the dance will resume. This time, however, I’m more nimble, and energetic. I love it! Every year, I seem to forget how much I love being lighter on my feet.

The autumn winds will sashay in with the county fair. They'll woo me with their cologne of deep-fried elephant ears and vinegar fries with sweet undertones of pound cake.

Food and I will once again do-si-do and tussle over who will lead.

I mean, really. After all these years, is it possible this one could be different?
It’s a cycle I’ve become accustomed to, but I do grow weary of it year after year.

I guess a lot has to do with attitude and the thoughts I toss around in my mind. Some experts say if you can think it, you can do it. They say I should think of myself with the desired result. Honey, if I could “think” myself into twenty pounds lighter, I would.

I think it has to be more than just a thought process if I really want to maintain a lasting change.

First of all, I must acknowledge the choice is mine. I have the freedom to choose a healthy lifestyle or not.

Second, it doesn’t come naturally for me so it will require some effort on my part. Possibly some sweat.

Third, I will have to take some thoughts captive. I tend to rationalize irrational eating. Seriously. When I lose fat, I reward myself with something fatty. It’s absurd.

I also rationalize why I can’t exercise.  But a foot or neck issue does not automatically excuse all exercise!  Which brings us back around to points one and two—I have a choice, and it will require some effort. I must get creative and get moving!

Moral support helps but I tend to have a stubborn, selfish side. I don’t want to spend my free time talking about how I can live a healthier life. I want to do what I want to do, even if it's unhealthy, and still get the desired result.

But doing it “my way” just spins me out of control again!

Ugh. I need an intervention.

Divine intervention!


Who will lead?
What about you? Have you made the same resolution year after year?  Are you struggling to gain control over an area of your life?

Join me in asking God to cut in on the self-indulged, exhausting, life dances. 

As we follow His lead away from things that are unhealthy and unholy, our joy becomes steadfast.


To everything there is a season,

A time for every purpose under heaven:

A time to weep,

And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
A time to gain,
And a time to lose…


You may want to read all of Ecclesiastes 3. 
These are just verses 1, 4 and 6 (NKJV)


2 comments:

  1. I too do that dance...what I tell myself and what I actually do are two different things...Steve and I started about 2 months ago to eat more healthy but through the holidays that can be very trying but we have managed to maintain our weight even tho we haven't lost any more we didn't gain...we both had lost a few pounds...I too tell myself that it is a choice that I make to choose the right foods....We're trying to replace bad habits with good habits...enjoy your blogs and the encouragement from them...wishing you and Steve and your family a Happy New Year may we all continue with good choices and good habits..Reney Quinton Lett....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Reney! Yes, many things can distract us from our healthy goals. It sounds like you and your hubby did great through the holidays. Better than I did! But I'm on a sugar purge, kicking out the junk food, and bringing in more healthy choices. I actually tried brussels sprouts for lunch and loved them.
      Thanks for stopping by and sharing with us, Reney. Hope you have a happy and healthy new year!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing! Your comment will appear after review from the moderator.